^GyakornokPotyautas- flickr/cc license
Renzo Piano transformed the historic Lingotto building into a mixed-used complex of hotels, concert halls, cinema, shops, and businesses. Mattè Trucco designed the automobile factory 1923 with its distinctive racetrack on the rooftop.
Modernist Le Corbusier praised the innovative design as the largest and most respected plant of its day. Fiat closed the factory, but Lingotto moved to solidify it as a cultural masterpiece. It opened in 1989.
The cantilevered Scrigno, the 16,000 piece translucent roof, and other utilitarian factory wonders retain the hard quality in a place of labor, but now serve as a picture gallery.
Video: historic photos
More Info and Images
^raffaelesergi1977- flickr/cc license
^phileole- flickr/cc license
^dalbera- flickr/cc license
^Muleonor- flickr/cc license
^singingbeagle- flickr/cc license