What does Brisbane need for the future?
Jesse Lockhart-Krause's entry 'Brisbane to Build the Next Opera House?':
"With the construction of the new Brisbane Supreme & District Courts by Architectus on upper George St, what will become of the soon un-needed existing Supreme Court next to Brisbane Square?
Brisbane is Australia's fastest growing city, with a population 2 million people. Oslo in Norway has a population of 1.5 million and has recently completed the Oslo Opera House, an architectural sensation.
Brisbane however currently lacks a building designed specifically for opera. QPAC in Southbank contains the only large scale performance venue in the CBD. The venue recently declining several national performing arts events because of an overloaded schedule. Demand is high.
After the terrible flooding in Brisbane and Queensland, it is clearer than ever that Queenslanders have an unyielding spirit. And as the Sydney Opera House has done in Sydney, an Opera House in Brisbane could provided a place for the people of Brisbane to congregate and celebrate what it is to be from Queensland."
Other competition entries:
- 'Waterground' by Collectif Map
- 'Northbank Masterplan' by Sharlene Anderson
- 'Public Debate Mapping' by Lisa Addiscott
- 'The River Restaurant ' by Miroslav Nad
- 'The Renaissance Tower of Brisbane' by Dean Dyson *must check this out!
- 'Ghosts of the Past' by Adam Perring
- 'Yarrabilba City' by Cloud Dwellers + Others
- 'Public Orientation System' by Kent Gration
- 'A Place To Catch (Sea) Breeze' by BLOXAS & Chian Quah
- 'Tourist Center & River Lookout' by Jeff ONeill
- 'Celebrating Hybridism by Debora Barton & Chelsea Koh
- 'Bike Share Bio-Swale' by Alex Georgouras
- 'Walking Brisbane' by Sue Stevenson & Zeglar Fergus